Can’t Find Hard Drive External Will Not Read Detect Solutions
- Go to Western Digital http://www.wdc.com/
- Click Support
- Find the model of hard drive you have
- Click on Downloads Tab
- Download WD Drive Utilities for Windows
- Run the test in the utilities
One Possible Fix
- Click Start
- Type in Disk Management
- Scroll down to see where your drive is.
- Enable it to be online
- Right click on Off line
- Enable the drive to be online
Initialize the drive
Download Glary Utilities (WARNING: Be very careful when using this program. It is very powerful and can wipe out your data if you press the wrong thing. Go slowly.)
- Click the down arrow in the lower right.
- Click Driver Manager
- The program will show all possible problems in red.
Look closely in the lower right pane of Disk Management at the Partition on the drive. It has some information displayed there. Look for the File System. If it is NTFS, you should be OK to use it.
IF YOU DON’T CARE ABOUT LOSING THE INFO ON YOUR DRIVE READ BELOW
Associate a letter to the driver. It needs a letter.
In computer management
See if the disk is a primary partition.
You cannot reassign a letter to primary partition.
Right click – Change drive letter paths. (will be greyed out)
- In the text box type in cmd
- Do not click anything
- Roll your mouse over the Programs
- Push CONTROL – SHIFT at the same time
- While they hare held down – NOW click Enter
- Type diskpart
- list disk
- Now the status comes up
- WARNING – YOU WILL LOSE ALL INFORMATION OFF OF HARD DRIVE
- Identify the proper drive.
- select disk 2
- Disk 2 is now the selected disk
- list disk
- #* will be there
- ENTER (All information will be deleted now)
Go back to computer managmenet to disk management.
Initialized disk will come up.
Right click disk 2
New simple volume
New simple volume wizard – go through the steps
Assign the following letter to the drive.
Start – computer and see if the drive shows up